Monday, February 15, 2010

I found my bliss



After a magical week of yoga in Tulum, Mexico I come back strong, open and blissfully at peace.  Twice a day, I made my way to the shala to practice with my new friends and I found the restrictions and stresses of "civilization" melting away.

The organic spirit was equally present in the food we ate.  Much to my pleasant surprise, I acclimated quite well to meals of salads, veggie stir-fry, fruits, tofu, and lentils.  I thought the carnivore in me would protest after the first day but it's often delightful what happens when I open my palate to new experiences.  Except for chickpeas ... I tried to like them but alas, I'm still not a fan.

After restorative yoga in the evenings, I looked forward to ending my meals with a glass of red wine.  While the selection was few in the modest town of Tulum, I found it interesting that many of the wines I came across were Chilean, with labels I haven't seen in the US.  More often than not, I find Chilean wines to be fairly light, both in taste and in body; therefore, a very pleasant compliment to vegetarian based meals.  Even with the South American varietals, I still prefer Cab Sav over Merlot.  That's all I got by way of tasting notes - anything more in a place where sand covers the floor and everyone comes in barefoot seemed a bit obnoxious.

Now, I love me a good tequilla but when the group ventured into the big town of Playa del Carmen, I took a wine bar break to try a couple of Mexican wines.  The first was Nebbiolo Reserva Privada, Valle de Guadalupe - very dark in color and tastes of warm earth and wood; clean finish, the taste almost dissipates upon swallowing - good drinking wine for balmy evenings.  The second was a Duetto - a full-bodied blend of 60% Tempranillo and 40% Cab Sav that tasted of vanilla and was slightly fruity.  Duetto is produced by Bodegas de Santo Tomas, the oldest winery in Mexico, who has partnered with non other than Wente Vineyards in Livermore!  I go kayaking in Livermore fairly often so perhaps a stopover at Wente to find out more about this partnership is in order.  Both the Nebbiolo and Duetto come from the northern part of the Baja peninsula known as Ruta del Vino, where the temperate climate is conducive to producing over 90% of Mexico's grapes.  Leave it to the Jesuit priests and missionaries of the 1700's to find perfect land parcels for wine growing.  I found all this new information absolutely fascinating.

At the airport, reluctantly waiting for my flight home, I came across two products from Carmelita Industria Casera.  The first was Rompope, a Mexican eggnog that's better than, well, eggnog.  I've been drinking it with my coffee and it's outa sight with a shot of brandy!  The next is Cajeta, a sweet Caramel indulgence made from goat's milk.  Once I learn how to make a dulce de leche desert I forsee anyone who partakes to be putty in my hands.

Opening the spirit and the palate to new tastes and experiences continues to be a wondrous adventure.

Until next time,
Salud!

3 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! Looks like you had a marvelous time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly did Suzi! It was without a doubt, the best yoga retreat evah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds like a fabulous trip! So fun exploring new wines - yoga twice a day sounds great too:) Nice!

    ReplyDelete