Thursday, April 29, 2010

Kermit Lynch - Gary V's interview & the Spring Sampler

So I'm checking out my Facebook feed this morning and I was THRILLED to see that Gary V just posted his interview with Kermit Lynch (click here) - the man, the legend, the down to earth wine importer and Berkeley jewel.  It's a bit of a cliff-hanger so stay tuned for part deaux.

Now I know I'm biased with anything showcasing my favorite city, but Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant is truly a stop to make if you're in the Berkeley hood, particularly if you're into French wines.  They have an ahh-mazing selection and it's truly difficult not to salivate as you walk through the aisles -- Cote du Rhone, both halves of the Cote D'Or, Cru Beaujolais, Alsace, Languedoc-Roussillon, the Loire Valley, and a little bit of Bordeaux.  And, they have their own parking lot, which is truly a plus in Berkeley as you won't have the %!#~$! meter maids to contend with.

I recently bought their Spring Sampler - a case that was predominantly filled with French wines from a variety of regions for $157 - or roughly $13/bottle!  A great deal if you want to sample France in a safe way ... that is get some good to very good wines at a great price, even if you're not familiar with producers or regions.  This case includes a very tasty and hard to find wine from Corsica, the Patrimonio Blanc from Yves Leccia.  Of all the whites, this was a personal favorite & a crowd pleaser - a well balanced and lively wine with fragrant floral & yellow fruit aromas made from Vermentino, a grape varietal that I had not tried before.  The case also comes with suggested recipes from Mark Congero and his wife, both alumni of Chez Panisse, using all the wonderful fruits and vegetables currently in season.

I shared the case with some friends and am sad to see an empty box.  Good thing I also got a bottle of Chateau Aney & Chateaunuf du Pape - both have T-bone written all over it for the upcoming weekend.

Bon Appetit

P.S. I hear Kermit is making a trip to Sicily soon!  Can't wait to see what he brings back.

P.P.S  Click here for Part 2 and here for Part 3 of the interview

No comments:

Post a Comment