Tuesday, February 16, 2010

It's Mardi Gras Cher


Yes my friends, it's Fat Tuesday and it's time to party!  So in the spirit of Mardi Gras (french for Fat Tuesday) my mind naturally turns to wine.  More specifically, what to pair with intense Cajun foods - all recommendations welcome!  Here are my thoughts:

Cabernet Sauvignon is my go to wine but for this occasion, I'll skip this typically heavy red in search for a better match.  Staying within the red family, I think a mellow Shiraz or an Oregon Pinot Noir would work quite nicely with the heat and sass of chicken & sausage gumbo or jambalaya - I'm craving non-greens after a week of vegetarianism.  If you don't feel like wine, an ice cold beer will work too!

On the other hand, I do be loving some of that spicy seafood so I'm thinking a cool Riesling to go along with a grilled Cajun catfish or a rich dish of shrimp creole.  I only had a Viognier once but I think the flavor profile would work here as well.

No meal is complete without desert - enter the sweet and colorful King Cake, traditionally served the day after Mardi Gras.  I'm going to try Chef Emeril Lagasse's recipe.  Back in the day, a gold bean was hidden in the cake and the lady who found it was deemed Queen of the Ball.  Can you just picture proper ladies of the court tearing that sucker up searching for the coveted bean?  Pair with something bubbly fo sho!  A prosecco or cava sounds good, maybe even a Moscato d'Asti tho the challenge will be finding one that's not too sweet.  Alternatively, nothing balances out a sweet coffee-cake type desert like a demitasse of espresso.

To follow the full tradition means that I only have till the last hour of Mardi Gras before I have to give up all this decadence until Easter.  Hmmm, I don't like the sound of that ... maybe I'll just work on dancing it all off till then.  Beads anyone?

Till next time Cher,
Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment