Thursday, February 4, 2010

A pair of lovelies just spoke to me

Browsing my wine merchant's cellar has never been so fun!  Two bottles in particular really grabbed me this week.

The first was the 2006 Elyse Couzins from Napa Valley.  Thank goodness it came in half size because I drank it by myself ... is that bad?  Anyway, this Zinfandel/Primitivo blend just spoke to me as I perused the shelf and I'm so glad I listened!  Blackberries and mocha emanated from the glass filled with red mahogany.  Upon the first sip, my palate was flooded with velvet waves of peppery goodness.

I could easily drink this alone but choose to pair it with a dinner of warm bread and brie. The wine might be a touch too strong for the creamy, French brie but it was quite enjoyable nonetheless.  A couple of ounces was left for Wine Wednesday and this pretty, little lovely matured as I danced to a duet by Shakira and Alejandro Sanz, "Te Lo Agradezco, Pero No."  Have you heard it?  No?  You must!  Doesn't matter if you speak Spanish, some things just don't need translation.  A layer of coffee on the nose and on the palate manifested on day two - I'm a caffeine addict so I like that.  I will absolutely buy this again only the winery doesn't sell it anymore and my wine merchant just has a limited amount.  Sure!  Lure me in, make me want you and then disappear!  Ah well, hunting for little gems like this is half the fun.

The next was today's beautiful, purple Malbec from Mendoza - a 2005 Zolo Reserve.  The smell reminds me of walking in the forest just after a light rain. The wood comes out even more when sipping along with an alluring smoky quality. After the first glass I needed some food so I paired this dry lovely with a tomato-based dish of sausage and peppers, which in turn brought out the wine's spice mid-palate and then onto a soft, lingering finish.  Each sip got smoother and smoother as Diana Krall crooned "Besame Mucho." Vacation and a bathing suit are just days away but oh yes, may I please have another!

As mentioned, I'll be on vacation next week so things will be rather quiet on the Wine Gal front.  I may develop a nervous tick being away from technology for so long.  Think I'll stash a bottle of wine in the ole suitcase ... you know, for medicinal purposes.

By the by, after listening to Vino 2010 via live streaming this morning, I feel compelled to be more transparent.  No opinions bought here, just a gal sharing my one-cent take on vino as my palate, education and entrepreneurship evolves.  Thank you so much for reading, I really do appreciate it!

Until next time,
Salud!

2 comments:

  1. We enjoyed a bottle of Couzins this week too...got it at Trader Joe's for $14.99. I was shocked to see an Elyse wine on their shelves, but grateful. Love their wines and Nancy and Ray are fantastic people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I'm headed out to TJ's now! Thanks for the tip and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete